Please change your location to view this page.
This page contains content that does not match your current location
Are you involved in setting up or running a community organisation and keen to understand the legal issues?
If you’re involved in setting up a new community organisation or need to refresh your knowledge on the legal basics, this introductory session is for you. It will provide you with an overview of the key legal requirements and will cover:
- What is a community group?
- What does not-for-profit mean?
- The basic structure of (an unincorporated) community group
- Incorporation: what it means, how to do it and pros and cons
- Auspicing: what it means, how to do it and pros and cons
- What does it mean to be a charity?
- What tax concessions are available for community groups?
“Excellent starter information with links to further reading and resources – exceptional” (Training participant, Starting a Community Organisation)
Suitable for people looking to start up a community group, or already involved in running a not-for-profit community organisation of any size and legal structures, including unincorporated groups
Standard length 3 hours
Maximum number of participants: 30 (if you think your group will exceed 30 participants please contact us to discuss further)
Facilitator One of our lawyers with expertise in charity and not-for-profit law and experience in providing training to community groups