Review of Associations Incorporation Reform Act
7 May 2014
Not-for-profit Law has provided comments on the Consumer Affairs Legislation Amendment Bill 2014. The Bill includes amendments to the Associations Incorporation Reform Act 2012 (Vic) (AIR Act).
- Not-for-profit Law supports the proposed changes to the AIR Act with one recommended alteration, and
- Not-for-profit Law highlights further issues and potential solutions, including:
- introducing a statutory right for members to call a general meeting
- including reasonableness requirements around members’ requests to access relevant documents
- amending provisions on access to personal information on members registers to ensure appropriate exemptions and a mechanism for ‘bulk’ restrictions
- ensuring consistency in grievance and disciplinary procedures under the AIR Act and model rules, and
- simplifying the winding-up, cancelation and administration procedures in the AIR Act.
Not-for-profit Law has contributed to the reform process of regulation for Victorion incorporated associations since the expiration of the Associations Incorporation Regulations 1998. Our submissions in relation to this legislation are contained in the related documents on this page.